Semillas is an organisation that supports women’s groups and indigenous leaders with the common goal of improving the status of women in Mexico. Semillas works with women who are seeking social change and justice:
- Indigenous leaders working to prevent maternal mortality
- Domestic employees fighting for legal protection
- Indigenous women running artisan cooperatives
- Factory (maquila) workers fighting for women to earn equal wages
- Indigenous women striving to attain land rights
Over the last 22 years Semillas has supported more than 600 projects directly benefiting over 500,000 women, and indirectly benefiting an additional 1,700,000 women and children throughout Mexico.